Clayton James has been practising law since 1972. He became partner in a midsize Sydney city firm in 1979, it was at this time he practised in areas of Conveyancing, Commercial Litigation, Equity and Estate work and Personal Injury claims as well as the management of that mid-city Sydney firm with a staff of 16 and a suburban office. Clayton and his family due to a family members health reasons moved to the Far North Coast between Lismore and Casino in 1992. Clayton has always been involved in sports both as a participant and administrator. He has played and successfully coached Rugby Union teams for many years. He has just recently retired as the chairman of the Far North Coast Judiciary, a position he held for over 10 years.
Since moving to the far north coast, Clayton has owned and managed a macadamia farm and a stud cattle enterprise winning Supreme of Show at Rockhampton show as well as Supreme Champion Bull and Cow in Sydney.
He has for 15 years volunteered and been the ring steward at over 5 local shows. He was part of the committee which revived Casino Beef Week, which is the Far North Coast’s most successful event, and still participates as a ring steward. His other interests are surfing, fishing, kayaking and skiing.
He is well experienced in a number of areas and approaches tasks in a simple straight forward common sense manner.
Clayton has been involved in a number of unusual cases including successfully suing a Sovereign Country for a Civil wrong conducted in NSW. Clayton has lately obtained the maximum possible payout for an 8 year old girl under NSW Motor Vehicle Act. Clayton will stand up to the big firms and enforce your rights. Clayton has developed an ever increasing practice involving Will disputes, acting for claimants interstate as well as in NSW. This is an area which intrigues him in view of not only the law but the results and service that he can achieve for his clients.
Clayton’s other main areas of practice are Conveyancing, General Wills & Estate matters, family and Commercial Law and accident compensation along with general law matters. With offices located on the Northern Rivers of NSW and Sydney, Clayton and his dedicated staff provide down to earth friendly, professional service.
A Recent Case
In this case which was not one of this firm, the applicant in contesting the will did not declare significant assets such as shareholding a large superannuation and substantial amount in the bank, the applicant was receiving Centrelink payments and the judge won the hearing not only found against him but referred the whole matter and his financial situation to Centrelink.
This case was a timely reminder that the parties should be honest and frank in all their dealings with the court in contesting wills as the applicant would now not only have to pay all the costs but have to deal with a Centrelink investigation and possible prosecution for disputing a will.
- Clayton, I can’t thank you enough when dad and my brothers transferred the farm into dads name and he cut me out – I thought that was the end. You did really well for me and I couldn’t believe that your fees were as low as they were.
– “D”, Koreelah, NSW
- Thanks Clayton. I really did not expect this. This is a great result. I can go on and do my studies now, which makes a great difference in my life.
– “M”, Regency Downs, QLD
- Clayton your work was of the highest standard in a very difficult matter.
– “E”, Wynnum West, Brisbane, QLD
- Finally I am vindicated. I am sure that dad did not wish at all to cut me out of his Will, it’s just my sister can be very persuasive. Thanks Clayton.
– “E”, Wyrallah, NSW
- I know that my father’s intention was that my sisters and I will share equally, however, due to matters beyond his control it turned out I did not get a fair share of the estate. Thank you for your help and for your professional assistance.
– “M”, Casino, NSW
- Here is a team you can rely on, quick and professional courteous manner.
Clayton and team , Therese and Ashley , helped turn a painful complicated matter into a genuine recognised eligibility with a down to earth no fuss amicable win, and showed a sensitivity towards me as their client.Most fair on price. Clayton and Therese’s years of knowledge and experience were invaluable, and I would definitely recommend Clayton and his team to all who need him in his specialised areas . A BIG THANK YOU to each of you and will continue to use your other specialist services.
– “Belinda”, Drake, NSW
- My brother and I found ourselves in a very extremely difficult stressful position regarding our fathers Will. What made it even more stressful, was that this was a family matter and worse still, my brother wasn’t mentioned in the will at all. Clayton was extremely sympathetic to our situation, but assured us that we had a strong legal case to contest the Will.
His dedication and passion to achieve a positive outcome for us was second to none. The end result through Mediation, proved to be highly successful for the two of us.
My brother and I unequivocally highly recommend Clayton James Solicitors and his professional team to anyone who is struggling with anything relating to contesting wills. We can unreservedly assure you that you are not just a file, a case number, but more importantly a person/s that is treated respectfully and professionally.
– “S.C & E.C”, Braemar NSW & Robina QLD.
- Clayton James is an astute and perceptive wills and estates lawyer with 20 + years practicing in the space. He has a deep understanding of the various legal avenues available to his clients’ and will not agree to work a case unless he is 80% convinced of a win. We are delighted we engaged Clayton in what was a tricky case with various layers of complexity and we are delighted with the outcome. I’d like to thank Clayton for his integrity and professionalism across the course of proceedings; he displayed outstanding judgement, particularly with his choice of barrister, Ms Kirralee Young of 6th floor St James Chambers, who delivered exceptional counsel regarding our matter. Many thanks again for a stellar effort.
– “EA”, Elena Antonis, Randwick.
- Hi Clayton, I would like to thank you and your staff for the professional and caring way your firm handled my dispute with my siblings. It was a very emotional time as my father had passed away only a few months earlier and my siblings whisked mum away after dad’s funeral. After caring for my parents for years and being their sole Power of Attorney and Enduring Guardian it came a a complete surprise when my mother unexpectedly wrote me out of her will only months before her death. Your guidance and expertise through the entire process was first class and what we thought would be a long and upsetting period was settled at mediation in under nine months. Clayton and his chosen Barrister, Kirralee Young, walked us through the details of mediation and and the whole process went as planned. I was very grateful to you for the empathy you afforded me and I would recommend your firm to anyone finding themselves in a similar situation to me. Once again, a BIG Thank You, you showed me that need can win over greed.
– “Linda R”, Broken Hill NSW.
- Clayton, Can I just say thank you very much. I can now look toward my future with a little ease of financial burden. Wills can be messy at the best of times and dealing with step siblings who no longer consider you family was very stressful. The professionalism of you and your team really put me at ease and gave me the strength to keep going.
– “C”, Ipswich QLD.
- Clayton James represented me in a Will dispute where I was left out of my mother’s Will. He was able to successfully settle the matter at mediation within a short period of time. Clayton is a very professional lawyer and I will highly recommend him to anyone placed in my situation.
– “DK”, Quakers Hill, Sydney
- I didn’t expect the result. It was a pleasant surprise. Thanks.
– “H”, North Ipswich, QLD
- My husband and I would like to thank Clayton and his team for the most outstanding service they have provided to us over the last year. Clayton you went well above and beyond what was expected, and achieved an amazing result which has changed our lives. You have our heartfelt appreciation and I would recommend your services to everyone. Clayton you rate over 100% in our lives.
– “J”, Calista, Western Australia
- I am extremely appreciative of the work Clayton and his team have done to help me over the last 12 months. He was always honest and upfront, easy to contact, easy to understand and truly has my best interest at heart. He made the process clear to me at every step. His team is hard working and were accommodating to mu unique situation. I would recommend Clayton to anyone, especially those unfamiliar with legal processes.
– “S” Northern Territory
- Job well done.
– “VM”, Bayswater, Victoria
- Clayton represented me in a will dispute where other Solicitors had turned away from my case. His counsel and experience was first rate. I found him to be very accessible and easy to contact at times when I needed his advice throughout the proceedings and wouldn’t hesitate to recommend his services to anyone. Clayton and his team worked tirelessly over a substantial time to achieve a result which was fair and just.
I would like to thank Clayton and his team for their time and effort.
– “BP”, Kiewa, Victoria.
- On behalf of the Mudge family I Jesse Mudge thank you Clayton for taking the initial time out to look into my case & to have represented me in a will dispute against my deceased mother’s sibling’s. Even though my name had been taken out of the will Clayton was still able to deliver the goods & have us walking away from our case certain victas. Never was I left feeling insecure, unsure or uncertain of what direction our case was heading in & Clayton also assured me of what to expect in its duration. Thanks to Clayton’s thoroughness & the high level of professionalism stress, uncertainties, unanswered questions & minor issues are not a factor one has to worry about making it a stress-free professional working environment. From the bottom of mine & my families hearts my family and I would like to thank you for all the hard work and effort you’ve done for my case & importantly thank you for taking my financial situation into account and reducing costs & fees for the benefit of my final outcome. Your a gentleman and a scholar Clayton thank you so much.
– “JM”, Sydney, NSW.
- Clayton assisted my brother and I with our succession claim when other legal firms said we had no chance and it would cost too much to pursue. They were wrong. We put our complete trust in Clayton as he was honest, informative and clearly explained the process involved and how long it would take. There were many challenges along the way with disgruntled family members and Clayton stayed on task all the way through, limiting unnecessary costs. Although this was a small claim, it was most important to us that the Will we were disputing was restored to a fair outcome to all involved as my father had wished. I would highly recommend Clayton and his team to act on your behalf as they keep costs at a realistic minimum, are always available to explain legal jargon, and will bring about the best possible outcome for you.
– LS, Semaphore Park, SA & RS, Darwin, NT.
- Clayton gave wise and timely counsel at an emotional time. He took the emotion out of it and helped us to see the progression of things. He supported us in our choices while always considering our financial state and advised appropriately. Many, many thanks.
– SD, Tuncurry NSW.
- I really appreciate all your help through this legal matter.
– CD, BLACKSTONE QLD.